Forest definitions need a scope beyond simply trees.
The International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR) is an intergovernmental organisation dedicated to improving the livelihoods of the poor producers and users of bamboo and rattan, within the context of a sustainable natural environment.
- INBAR connects a global network of partners from the government, private and non-profit sectors in over 50 countries.
- INBAR promotes sustainable development with bamboo and rattan by consolidating, coordinating and supporting strategic and adaptive research and development.
- Climate Change
Bamboos are versatile resources that can help us tackle and live with climate change.
- Environmental Sustainability
Bamboo and rattan combine environmental sustainability with poverty reduction.
- Poverty Alleviation
Bamboo and rattan help millions of poor rural and urban producers lift themselves out of poverty.
- Sustainable Construction
Building with bamboo is a modern, green option.
- Trade Development
Bamboo and rattan products have large and expanding markets.
- Member Countries
- Transforming rural livelihoods and landscapes: sustainable improvements to income, food security and the environment (4.67 MB)
- Working Paper No. 74: Forests beyond trees: NTFPs as tools for climate change mitigation and adaptation (2.66 MB)
- Working Paper No. 73: Methodology for Carbon Accounting and Monitoring of Bamboo Afforestation Projects in China (2.94 MB)
For complete access to all publications, please visit our Publications page.