A/Prof. Dr. Ir. Arch. Kristof Crolla is an architect who combines his architectural practice “Laboratory for Explorative Architecture & Design Ltd.” (LEAD) with an Associate Professorship at the University of Hong Kong (HKU), where he teaches in the Master of Architecture programme and directs the Bachelor of Arts and Sciences’ Design+ Programme. After graduating Magna Cum Laude as Civil Architectural Engineer from Ghent University in 2003, he studied and taught at the Architectural Association School of Architecture, London (AA) and worked for several years as Lead Architect for Zaha Hadid Architects. He is currently based in Hong Kong, where his work focussing on the strategic integration of latest technologies in the architectural design and implementation process. For this, he received numerous design awards and accolades, including the 2016 RMIT Vice-Chancellor’s Prize for Research Impact – Higher Degree by Research for his PhD research. He is best known for projects “Golden Moon” and “ZCB Bamboo Pavilion” for which he a.o. received the World Architecture Festival Small Project of the Year 2016 award.
Recent bamboo-related publications include:
- Crolla, Kristof. “Building indeterminacy modelling – the ‘ZCB Bamboo Pavilion’ as a case study on nonstandard construction from natural materials,” Visualization in Engineering, 5:15 (December 2017), Accessed October 10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40327-017-0051-4
- Crolla, Kristof. “Bending Bamboo Rules: Beyond Century-Old Typologies”. Journal of Architectural Education. Volume 72, 2018 – Issue 1: A / To Project, 135-145. https://doi.org/10.1080/10464883.2018.1410669.
- Crolla, Kristof. “Building Simplexity: The ‘More or Less’ of Post-Digital Architecture Practice”, PhD Dissertation, 2018. https://researchrepository.rmit.edu.au/permalink/61RMIT_INST/13r5bm8/alma9921864092901341
- Goepel, Garvin and Kristof Crolla, “Augmented Reality-based Collaboration – ARgan, a bamboo art installation case study”, in D. Holzer, W. Nakapan, A. Globa, I. Koh (eds.), RE: Anthropocene, Design in the Age of Humans – Proceedings of the 25th CAADRIA Conference – Volume 2, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, 5-6 August 2020, pp. 313-322. http://papers.cumincad.org/cgi-bin/works/paper/caadria2020_426
- Crolla, Kristof and Garvin Goepel, “Designing with Uncertainty: Objectile Vibrancy in the TOROO bamboo pavilion”, in D. Holzer, W. Nakapan, A. Globa, I. Koh (eds.), RE: Anthropocene, Design in the Age of Humans – Proceedings of the 25th CAADRIA Conference – Volume 2, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, 5-6 August 2020, pp. 507-516. http://papers.cumincad.org/cgi-bin/works/paper/caadria2020_090