Webinar: Integration of bamboo in landscape restoration
About the Webinar:
Bamboo possesses qualities that make it ideal for restoring degraded lands. Bamboo is able to thrive on degraded soils and steep slopes where many plants cannot grow. INBAR works in a number of countries whose ecosystems, watersheds and rural livelihoods are affected by land degradation and desertification. Over the years, INBAR member states have restored several million hectares of degraded ecosystem with bamboo across Africa, Asia and Latin America and the results have been inspiring. Soil quality improves, biodiversity recovers and crucial ecosystem services are restored. With the right species in the right locations, bamboo plantations can provide global and local significant ecosystem service values. Particularly, bamboos are multiple purpose species, they provide wood, energy, food, feed and fodder and can penetrate into diverse markets, thereby raising off-farm income and resilience of smallholders.
This webinar will provide an overview of various ecosystem services values provided by bamboo forests and/or plantations, how to integrate bamboo in landscape restoration and the results and lessons learned from a case study in Chishui, China.
- Dr. Madhu Madegowda, Director of ICAR-IISWC, ecosystem restoration expert.
- Topic: Principles of ecosystem restoration; how to integrate bamboo in landscape restoration
- Dr. Kiran Paudyal, Senior Research Scientist at Forest Action, Nepal, ecosystem service assessment expert.
- Topic: Key findings and recommendations from global assessments of ecosystem services from bamboo forest
- Mr. Huang Shiping, Deputy Director, Chishui Municipal Forestry Bureau, Guizhou, China, local government/ technical expert.
- Topic: Approach for ecosystem restoration with bamboo; lessons learned and results from a case study in Chishui, China
Date and time:
03 June 2021
Addis Ababa (GMT+3): 15:00
Beijing (GMT+8): 20:00
New Delhi (GMT+5.5): 17:30
Quito (GMT-5): 07:00
Yaounde (GMT+1): 13:00
Register to attend using this link.
This webinar is brought to you on the launch of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration
Watch the full webinar recording below here: