INBAR Membership – Joining Procedures
INBAR encourages all countries with an interest in bamboo and rattan to join. Membership of INBAR is open to all States which are members of the United Nations or of its specialised agencies and regional organisations constituted by sovereign States accepting the mission and purposes of INBAR. All countries are welcome – both producers and consumers – and will benefit from the Network.
Application procedures for membership of INBAR are based on the Agreement on the Establishment of the International Network for Bamboo and Rattan. The acceding country must agree to the INBAR Treaty, which requires a formal political decision of the Government. The procedure is as follows:
- The Government of the applying country shall issue a letter of application to INBAR in writing of its decision to apply for membership and indicate that it agrees to the terms of INBAR Establishment Agreement. The letter of application shall be signed by a Minister-level official.
- The Chair of INBAR Council will send a letter to each Council Party member requesting approval in a set period of time (usually 4-6 weeks).
- When the application is approved by a majority of the INBAR Council, a letter of acceptance will be sent to the applying government from the Chair of the Council.
- Upon receiving the letter of acceptance, the applying government shall issue an Instrument of Accession and send the original copy to the Depository of the INBAR Establishment Agreement (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Host Government, China). The signatory of the Instrument of Accession must have the authority to speak on behalf of their Government and duly authorised (Minister of Foreign Affairs or above).
- The official announcement of the membership shall be communicated to all the Council Party members by the Depository of the INBAR Establishment Agreement after receiving the original Instrument of Accession.
- According to Article 21 of the Establishment Agreement, “in the event that the internal legislation of a signatory Party requires it to ratify the Agreement, the Agreement, with respect to that Party, shall enter into force on the first day of the month commencing after the date of receipt by the Depository of its Instrument of Ratification.”
Contact – firstname.lastname@example.org