The way we learn and share experiences is changing. INBAR’s themed online webinar series brings bamboo and rattan experts from all over the world together to educate, inspire and discuss, without the need for travel. Click the links below to learn more, join events remotely, or catch up on webinars that have already happened.
- 24-26 August 2021: Anji Bamboo Study Virtual Tour (Part I): Supply Chain Integration for Maximum Utilization & Value Addition.
- 26-28 October 2021: Anji Bamboo Study Virtual Tour (Part II): Supply Chain Integration for Maximum Utilization & Value Addition.
- 12-14 October 2021: Basics of Bamboo Weaving Techniques and Art.
- 23-25 November 2021: Sustainable Management of Tropical Sympodial Bamboo Resources.
- 7-9 December 2021: Sustainable Tropical Bamboo Forest Management for Shoot Production.
Thematic Webinar Series
Bamboo and Environmental Management
These webinars help bamboo sector stakeholders to gain a better understanding of the vital services which bamboo forests and bamboo-based agroforestry systems can provide for humans and ecosystems, and will discuss new opportunities to link bamboo forests with ecosystem markets and carbon markets.
- 14 July 2020: Bamboo for conservation of endangered species – watch on Youtube here.
- 7 July 2020: Land restoration with bamboo – watch on Youtube here.
- 30 June 2020: Soil and water conservation with bamboo – watch on Youtube here.
- 23 June 2020: Bamboo for Climate Change and Carbon Market Opportunities – watch on Youtube here.
- 16 June 2020: Assessing Ecosystem Services from Bamboo Forests – watch on Youtube here.
- 03 June 2021: Integration of bamboo in landscape restoration – watch on Youtube here
Bamboo for Poverty Reduction and Livelihood Development
Under the second theme, INBAR staff and experts focus in particular on different bamboo agroforestry options for smallholder farmers, as well as the potential role of bamboo in food security and enterprises, different value-addition enterprise models, and integrated development models.
- 21 July 2020: Bamboo farming systems development – watch on Youtube here.
- 23 July 2020: Bamboo for smallholder income and food security – watch on Youtube here.
- 30 July 2020: Bamboo for smallholder income and energy security – watch on Youtube here.
- 4 August 2020: Pro-poor livelihood development approaches using bamboo – watch on Youtube here.
- 7 August 2020: Green economy development in mountainous regions with bamboo – watch on Youtube here.
- 12 August 2020: Harnessing the Potential for Bamboo for Renewable Energy – watch on Youtube here.
Bamboo Industry Development
Webinars under this theme look more broadly at bamboo as a strategic resource that contributes to green growth. These sessions feature specific cases of bamboo supply chain development, technological innovations, products and markets, as well as standardisation works, and experts will discuss the roadmap for the bamboo sector’s global development.
Bamboo for Health and Welfare
The focus of these webinars is on bamboo’s roles in healthcare and welfare, including its use in medical, antimicrobial, insecticidal and herbicidal uses treatments, activated bamboo carbon, and bamboo eco-tourism as a source of health care and leisure.
Bamboo: A Very Sustainable Construction Material
These webinar sessions aim to build greater awareness about bamboo’s potential to alleviate the world’s acute housing crisis, as a low-cost form of construction and as part of the development of zero-emission, ‘green’ cities.
- 1 December 2020: Structural Use of Engineered Bamboo. You can watch the video on YouTube here.
- 24 November 2020: Architectural Use of Engineered Bamboo. You can watch the video on YouTube here.
- 17 November 2020: Structural Use of Bamboo Culms (Part 2). You can watch the video on YouTube here.
- 10 November 2020: Structural Use of Bamboo Culms (Part 1). You can watch the video on YouTube here.
- 3 November 2020: Architectural Use of Bamboo Culms. You can watch the video on YouTube here.
- 6 April 2021: Bamboo Landscapes in Forest Cities (IFCC 2021). You can watch the video on YouTube here.
Bamboo and the Giant Panda
- 22 December 2020: Bamboo for Conservation of the Giant Panda. You can watch the video on YouTube here.
A Roadmap for Bamboo Policy Development
These webinar sessions are planned for policymakers and planners to discuss the strategic and enabling policies needed for enhancing bamboo-based development, to analyse the key gaps that inhibit the development of the sector, to deliberate on existing strategies and action plans used by INBAR Member States, and to elaborate on how to implement these.
- 9 March 2021: Bamboo policy: a roadmap for bamboo development – watch on Youtube here.
Sustainable Management and Utilisation of Rattan Resources
The final theme focuses on rattan’s ecosystem services and roles in rural livelihoods. Experts will also assess the present over-exploration of rattan, and discuss various aspects of rattan management and use.
- 23 February 2021: Innovative applications of rattans and the economic potential of the rattan sector. You can watch the video on YouTube here.
- 30 September 2020 – Sustainable Management of Rattan Resources and Establishment of Rattan Plantations – watch on YouTube here.
Weekly Bamboo Webinar Series Organised in 2020 by INBAR’s Latin America and the Caribbean Regional Office
- 11 June 2020: Bambu no Brasil é as Possibilidadedes Econômicas Pos Pandemia [Bamboo for Brazil and Post-Pandemic Opportunities] – watch on Youtube [in Portuguese] here.
- 5 June 2020: El Bambú para la Bioenergía [Bamboo for Bioenergy] – watch on Youtube here.
- 28 May 2020 – Green Development with Bamboo in Europe – watch on Youtube here.
- 22 May 2020 – Equipando ciudades con bambú [Building cities with bamboo] – watch on Youtube in Spanish here.
- 15 May 2020: Bambú para la alimentación humana [Bamboo as a food source for humans] – watch on Youtube in Spanish here.
- 8 May 2020: Mujeres emprenadores con bambú [Female Bamboo Entrepreneurs]
- 1 May 2020: Experiencias de proyectos de desarrollo con bambú [Experiences with bamboo development projects] – watch on Youtube in Spanish here.
- 24 April 2020: El acero vegetal: La herramienta natural de Iberoamérica para incentivar la reconstrucción económica [Vegetal steel: the natural tool to incentivise economic reconstruction in Ibero-America] – watch on Youtube in Spanish here.
Other webinars co-organised by INBAR
- 8 July 2020: Bamboo Value Chain Development for Poverty Reduction – watch on Facebook here.
- 4 July 2020: Bamboo Cluster for Sustainable Rural Income and Livelihood Development – watch on Facebook here.
- 30 June 2020: Bamboo Incense Sticks: A Pro-Poor Sustainable Rural Income and Livelihood – watch on Facebook here.
- 11 May 2020: The Importance of Policy in the Sustainable Development of the Bamboo Sector in Cameroon