Bhavna Sharma is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering at the University of Bath. She is also part of the BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials at the University if Bath. Bhavna holds degrees in Structural engineering (Ph.D. 2010, M.S. 2006), Architectural History (M.A. 2003) and Architecture (B.S. 2001).
Bhavna is interested in the use of sustainable construction materials in design and engineering. Her research uses an interdisciplinary approach to investigate and develop natural materials, such as bamboo, for structural applications. Areas of expertise include structural and small-scale experimental testing, modelling and design. Bhavna has a background in full-culm construction, as well as development of experimental test methods for bamboo. Her most recent work has focused on structural uses of laminated bamboo. Through a multi-scale approach, her research forms the basis for non-conventional materials to be utilised and accepted in design and engineering practice.
Liu, X., Smith, G. D., Jiang, Z., Bock, M. C. D., Boeck, F., Frith, O., Gatóo, A., Liu, K., Mulligan, H., Semple, K. E., Sharma, B. and Ramage, M. 2016. Nomenclature for engineered bamboo. BioResources. 11, 1141-1161
Sharma, B., Gatóo, A. and Ramage, M. H., 2015. Effect of processing methods on the mechanical properties of engineered bamboo. Construction and Building Materials. 83, 95-101
Sharma, B., Gatóo, A., Bock, M. and Ramage, M., 2015. Engineered bamboo for structural applications. Construction and Building Materials. 81, 66-73
Sharma, B., Gatoo, A., Bock, M., Mulligan, H. and Ramage, M., 2015. Engineered bamboo:state of the art. Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers: Construction Materials. 168, pp. 57-67
- Gatóo, A., Sharma, B., Bock, M., Mulligan, H. and Ramage, M. H., 2014. Sustainable structures:Bamboo standards and building codes. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Engineering Sustainability, 167 (5), pp. 189-196.
- Sharma, B., Harries, K. A. and Ghavami, K., 2013. Methods of determining transverse mechanical properties of full-culm bamboo. Construction and Building Materials, 38, pp. 627-637.
- Sharma, B. and Harries, K. A., 2012. Effect of fiber gradation on the edge bearing strength of bamboo culms. Key Engineering Materials, 517, pp. 63-70.
- Harries, K. A., Sharma, B. and Richard, M., 2012. Structural use of full culm bamboo:the path to standardization. International Journal of Architecture, Engineering and Construction, 1 (2), pp. 66-75.
- Sharma, B., Mitch, D., Harries, K. A., Ghavami, K. and Kharel, G., 2011. Pushover behaviour of bamboo portal frame structure. International Wood Products Journal, 2 (1), pp. 20-28.
- Mitch, D., Harries, K. A. and Sharma, B., 2010. Characterization of splitting behavior of bamboo culms. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 22 (11), pp. 1195-1199.