Juan Francisco J. Correal Daza
Professor Correal is a civil engineer with over 16 years of experience. He obtained his undergraduate and Master degrees at the Universidad de Los Andes, and has a PhD from the University of Nevada, Reno, United States.
Professor Correal has been the director of the Integrated Laboratory of Civil and Environmental Engineering from 2006 to 2013, and is currently Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá. Within the Research Center on Materials and Civil Infrastructure (CIMOC), he has been director and main researcher in multiple projects on issues related to the application of conventional and non-conventional materials to design and build structures. Specifically, he has an important background on the study of bamboo and laminated bamboo for structural applications, seismic behaviour of bamboo structures, and development of building code regulations for bamboo and bamboo products.
In addition, he has worked as a project engineer in Arcon Structural Engineers, Inc. based in California, USA. He also has a professional license as a Civil Engineer in the state of California and is member of the American Concrete Institute (ACI) since 2000. Professor Correal is member of the board of the Colombian Association of Structural Engineering (ACIES) and is currently President of the Colombian Seismic Engineering Association (AIS).
His current research focuses on:
- Structural behaviour of modular housing using laminated Guadua bamboo panels
- Development of building code regulations for laminated bamboo products
- Development of building code regulations for pole bamboo
- Experimental seismic behaviour of full scale laminated bamboo structures
- Numerical modelling of mid-rise buildings of laminated bamboo
- Numerical modelling and experimental validation of laminated bamboo shear walls
- Correal J. (2015). Cyclic behaviour of Laminated Guadua Mat sheathing-to- framing connections. Construction and Building Materials (ISSN 0950-0618) 98, 69-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.08.109
- Correal J, Echeverry J, Ramirez F, Yamin L (2014). Experimental evaluation of physical and mechanical properties of Glued Laminated Guadua angustifolia Kunth Research Paper. Construction and Building Materials (ISSN 0950-0618) 73, 105-112. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.09.056
- Varela S , Correal J, Yamin L, Ramirez F (2013). Cyclic Performance of Glued Laminated Guadua Bamboo-Sheathed Shear Walls. Journal of Structural Engineering ASCE (ISSN 0733-9445) 139, 2028-2037. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000758
- Mena J, Vera S, Correal J, Lopez M (2012). Assessment of fire reaction and fire resistance of Guadua angustifolia Kunth bamboo. Construction and Building Materials (ISSN 0950-0618), 60-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.08.028
- Ramirez F, Correal J, Yamin L, Atoche J, Mario C (2012). Dowel-Bearing Strength Behavior of Glued Laminated Guadua Bamboo. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering (ISSN 0899-1561) 24, 1378-1387. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000515
- Correal J, Varela S (2012). Experimental Study of Glued Laminated Guadua Bamboo Panel as an Alternative Shear Wall Sheathing Material. Key Engineering Materials (ISSN 1013-9826) 517, 164-170. http://dx.doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.517.164
- Arbelaez J, Correal J (2012). Racking Performance of Traditional and Non- Traditional Engineered Bamboo Shear Walls. Key Engineering Materials (ISSN 1013-9826) 517, 171-178. http://dx.doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.517.171
- Correal J, Ramirez F (2010). Adhesive bond performance in glue line shear and bending for glued laminated Guadua bamboo. Journal of Tropical Forest Science (ISSN 0128-1283) 22, 433-439.
- Correal J, Arbelaez J (2010). Influence of age and height position on colombian Guadua angustifolia bamboo mechanical properties. Maderas: Ciencia y Tecnología (ISSN 0717-3644) 12, 105-113. http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0718-221X2010000200005
- Lopez L, Correal J (2009). Exploratory Study of The Glued Laminated Bamboo Guadua Angustifolia as a Structural Material. Maderas: Ciencia y Tecnología (ISSN 0717-3644) 11, 171-182. http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0718-221X2009000300001