Dr. Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin, Forest Research Institute Malaysia
Dr Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin, born on 23 November 1965, is a Senior Research Officer with the Forest Research Institute Malaysia, FRIM, since 1989. Having a BSc in Mechanical Engineering (University of Portland, Oregon), his first task was to mechanise/automate manufacturing processes of bamboo and rattan products.
He obtained his MSc (Universiti Pertanian Malaysia) with a thesis Strength and Stiffness of Joints in Rattan Furniture in 1995, and a PhD degree (University of Birmingham, UK) for his Numerical Analysis on Laminated Bamboo Strips Lumber in 2005.
He invented and patented POPS Lumber, an engineered lumber (EL) from oil palm trunks in 2007 that earned him 2008 WIPO Best Inventor at Geneva. In 2009, he patented MYScrim-bambuseae, a similar EL from crushed bamboo sticks. His current research and development work is geared towards developing bamboo EL that is free from formaldehyde and with relatively lower density to allow greater range of application, i.e., not confined to flooring.
- Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin, Hamdan Husain & Mohd Tamizi Mustafa. 1992. Sistem paip saluran udara mampat untuk kilang pembuatan perabot rotan (Compressed air-line system for rattan furniture manufacturing factories). FRIM Technical Information No. 33.
- Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin & Mohd Tamizi Mustafa. 1992. Nail withdrawal resistance of Calamus manan impregnated with phenol-formaldehyde. RIC Bulletin 11(2): 14-15.
- Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin, Koh Mok Poh. & Mohd Tamizi Mustafa. 1993. Improved rattan through phenolic resin impregnation-preliminary study. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 5(4): 485-491.
- Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin. 1994. Mathematical model for predicting specific gravity across a stem of Calamus manan. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 7(2): 191-198.
- Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin. 1995. Strength and Stiffness of Joints in Rattan Furniture. MSc thesis. Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Pertanian Malaysia, Serdang. 166 pages.
- Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin, Hamdan Husain, Abdul Hamid Saleh. 1999. Transfer of technology model (TOTEM) – Modern rattan furniture manufacturing. Published on-line by the International Network of Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR).
- Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin. 2001. Strength and stiffness properties of joints in rattan furniture part 1: withdrawal resistance. Journal of Tropical Forest Products 7(1) June 2001.
- Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin. 2005. Numerical Analysis of Laminated Bamboo Strip Lumber (LBSL). PhD thesis. School of Engineering, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom. 239 pages.
- A. Wan Tarmeze, H. Hamdan, M. Mohd Tamizi and A. Khairul. 2007. Stiffness and strength properties of rattan furniture joints subjected to lateral load. Journal of Bamboo and Rattan Vol 6 No 1. pp 1-10.
- Wan Tarmeze Wan Ariffin, Mohd Tamizi Mustafa, Walter Jarck. 2016. The Mechanics of Pressing Bamboo Materials To Manufacture Scrimber in Judith Gisip (ed) Proceedings of the ASEAN Bamboo Symposium 2016. 27 – 29 September, 2016 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Pp228-235.